Sunday 21 July 2013

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Rafting, Shopping, Volunteering and Jamming

Bonne weekend! I hope that everyone had a wonderful weekend!

Saturday was really, really incredible as we went rafting in the Lachine Rapids in Montreal. It is quite deceiving because at first glance it is a calm river, one that you would never have imagined that people go rafting in!

After getting suited up and having a brief safety lesson/figuring out what various commands are (that would save our lives!), we began rowing out. It was interesting to see "boils" in the river - holes in the bottom of the river floor that cause the water on the surface to create whirlpools that aren't strong enough to take away anyone's paddle from their hands, but a unique and interesting site to see. The waves were strong and drenched us all from head to toe, leaving our boat thigh high in water! Big John was the name of the last wave, and we were literally getting air time at one point before crashing down onto the water. Needless to say it was quite the experience!

Here we are!

the rafts...
 
After our lunch we drove into Montreal for shopping. I felt really bad dragging boys along to different stores where I browsed to my heart's content. While I bought very little (which I don't know if I should be happy or sad about), it was nice to spend the day with friends in a retail environment! there were a lot of the same stores that we have back home, and it was interesting to go into Garage, which was created in Montreal. The prices are much cheaper here, I have to be honest about that!
 
before shopping!
 
Dinner was at a cafe that sold everything in Vieux-Port (Old Port in Montreal). I had Quebecois style pizza which had mushrooms and of course, bacon. Why I didn't have poutine remained a mystery. I was also impressed that Patrick took a chance and tried escargots au gratin (snails with cheese). According to him, he said that it tasted great. One of these days I suppose I will have to try it. For dessert we went into a Ben and Jerry's ice cream store, and what better way to end the evening but with Chocolate Therapy ice cream :)
 



Sunday morning into the very early afternoon was spent in Mascouche for the marche public (public market) which was your typical farmers' market that sold different local products. I spent the day doing bricolage (arts and crafts) with the little kids - we were making picture frames. It was fun to spend time with adorable little kids who have wild creativity runs in their minds. The market itself was a really cool place, running from June to September every weekend. A shout out to all the vendors that work there tirelessly every weekend as well as the really cool live band that was there playing music right by the bricolage table!

Afterwards since it was so early, Spencer and Nathan came over to spend the afternoon and evening. Spencer and I invented a new card game, "Egyptian Jack" - a mashup of the card games Slapjack and Egyptian Ratscrew. In theory both games are quite similar but they both have different conditions and rules, but who needs that when you can create your own game? That quickly escalated to Water War (thanks to Jimmy Fallon) with water guns, perfect on a hot day :)

And as for jamming? I got a electric keyboard from my host family as well as a guitar to use for my time here to make music, and together we were all playing music and singing random songs. I love music and jamming is the best feeling in the world. I missed it so much!

Well, I wish I had more pictures from this weekend but I really wouldn't have wanted to lose my camera in the rapids. There are more pictures on Facebook if you would like :)

Song, song, song - this was a song that the band right by the arts and crafts station was playing and singing. I remember when I used to be obsessed with Bryan Adams - "Summer of '69"


bonne semaine tout le monde!

Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment