Friday 26 July 2013

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

An Interesting Eating Experience

Ce soir j'avais un experience tellement interessant... to celebrate the beginning of the weekend, the Surrey/Terrebonne Est group went to Restaurant O.Noir in Montreal for dinner with Janie, our coordinator and Vanessa, the regional coordinator. As you may know, noir means "black" in French. What was our challenge tonight?

Try eating dinner in nothing but pitch black all around.

Upon arrival we were given menus to order our meals and told to turn all electronic devices off that would emit light, and then we were walking into the main dining area, conga-line style with one hand on the shoulder of the person in front of you. All you can hear is the sound of people talking and silverware clanging against plates, but other than that, you see absolutely nothing.

We had bread (try spreading butter on bread in the dark!) and then our meals came shortly afterwards, ranging from selections of filet mignon, ribs, shrimp, lamb... I personally had the filet mignon that had peppers and potato wedges. If only I saw what it looked like...but it tasted amazing! I was also very thankful that the people in the kitchen cut up the steak into smaller pieces. Dessert was soon to follow: blueberry cream cake pour moi... c'etait tres delicieux!

Eating in the dark was not only an interesting and fun experience, but also an "eye-opening" one. All the waiters and waitresses in the restaurant are legally blind, and this experience showed me how I take the sense of sight for granted. It really is difficult to eat in a pitch black environment.. after a while I gave up with the utensils and used my hands!

I would like to thank the YMCA for paying for such an incredible meal and experience.. one day I hope to come back and do it again! Also a shout out to all the cool people at Restaurant O.Noir: what you do is awesome! Great food, amazing experience :)


welcome to O.Noir!

here we go!
 
 
So it's been such a long time since I last posted it seems, and I can't believe that we are so close to this trip coming to an end. I'm quite sad to go; I feel like there is a lot of places that I haven't been to yet. Oh well, at least its Montreal and Quebec. I'm definitely coming back again a l'avenir (in the future). 
 
The song for tonight was one that Vanessa had introduced me to... I had heard it back home, but never the French version, so here it is: "Alone Again (Encore Seule)" by Alyssa Reid ft. Dice B.
 

Bonne weekend !

Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment