Tuesday 2 July 2013

, , , , , ,

"Desolee, Je Ne Comprends Pas..."

That was a common phrase that I used today, translating to "sorry, I don't understand." In fact, I probably used that at least twice every hour. I'm getting there, though!

The day after Canada day there was an obvious spike in participants at the camp, from about 25 to possibly 65-70. I introduced myself again on numerous occasions - "Bonjour, je m'appelle Dragon. Ma francais n'est pas bien parce que j'habite a Vancouver en Colombie-Britannique. Je resterai qu Quebec pour 6 semaines... eh, c'est tout!" - basically a warning that my French isn't that great because I don't live in Quebec but Vancouver where we speak English tout les temps (all the time). And if you are wondering why I introduced myself as "Dragon", it is because all camp leaders need a nickname, and the kids are not supposed to know our real name.

All the kids and my coworkers were very understanding and spoke plus lentement (very slowly) and repeated phrases several times. One girl that I got to know, Charlianne, probably repeated very phrase at least three times before I could mentally piece together the words that she said and before I could come up with a decent response for her question. It is quite interesting to observe Quebecois children - they are all very eloquent and they speak very fast. Kids that speak English probably talk in half the speed that the kids in Quebec do. They all have very interesting and beautiful names - Remy, Charlianne, Marilou, Alexis [AH-lex-ee], Frederick, Rosalinne, ....

In all, today was a good day. There was a slight change in the weather too, and currently it is raining! How can this be?! :)

Here is a picture of my dessert:
 << mmm Strawberry Shortcake!
 
 
That's all for today! Tomorrow we are all going as a group to the Festival du Jazz a Montreal (Montreal Jazz Fest). I am very excited for that!
 
 
I leave tonight's post with a song, again by Quebec rockers Simple Plan... I feel that this is quite appropriate: "Jet Lag" by Simple Plan ft. Marie-Mai (a Quebec singer)... en franglais!
 
 

 
A prochain,
 
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Lol are you going to see the other Benoit tomorrow? Haha lol (:

    ReplyDelete